Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

A little bit late, but yesterday I was too busy playing with dolls, reading books, munching chips-n-guacamole and watching the Twilight Zone marathon to get near the computer.

I was a little surprised by the number of TZ episodes I didn't remember well. I kinda thought with all the years of watching marathons I'd have them memorized. But no! (hmm, or maybe I'm losing my memory. In the TZ frame of mind, that seems more likely)

I was also quite surprised by how similar one of the episodes (Number 12 looks just like you) is to the basic premise of UGLIES by Scott Westerfeld. Enough that I had to dig around to see what he had to say about it...he vaguely remembered it, and thought parts were similar. Goes to prove the adage that there's nothing new under the sun (or in plots), but it's all in how you handle it.

I'm hanging on rather tight to this adage myself, as my current WIP is a ghost story, and there seems to be a flood of them just now. The good thing is I have confidence that nobody's twisting it the same way as me.

Had a rather good idea for the next scene come to me this morning, so I'm raring to go at lunchtime today. Now I just have to figure out this odd "work" thing I'm supposed to be doing until then!

1 comment:

Carol Spradling said...

Hi Susan,

I love TZ and watched the marathon, too! I muted during commercials, or episodes I wasn't overly fond of and kept typing. There are many books and movies that I suspect got their start from Mr. Serling. As long as it stops with the initial idea, I suppose it's ok.

Glad you had a good holiday. Can't wait to hear about the twist in GG.