Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Virtuosity

Virtuous.

It's a stuffy, prim little word, isn't it? Like a proper old lady sitting in a brocade chair with her ankles crossed.

"Virtuous," she says, sipping her tea, nodding. "A lady must be virtuous."

THAT kind of virtuous I will never be, despite the efforts of proper old ladies everywhere. But over the past few years, I have learned the simple pleasure of bursts of virtuous.

I have bad habits, you see. I procrastinate, play solitaire, eat candy, sneak in reading or old TV when I know there are other things I should be doing, things that are important to me for my goals--or that make me feel accomplished. So when I actually do those things, I feel pleased. Proud of myself. Virtuous.

I feel virtuous when I:

not only get my writing goal in for the day, but surpass it.
actually do make lunches the night before.
exercise (hey, it's rare, but it does happen).
write a decent blog post.
cook an interesting, nutritious meal for my family (and they like it!).
clean the kitchen, completely, not in spots.
fold a load of laundry and get it put away in less than a day after starting it.
remember Child's increasingly complicated schedule and pack the right things
volunteer for something important to me.

You know that feeling, right? Kind of wow-I-am-a-successful-grown-up.

I guess it's an inner gold star.

What makes you feel virtuous?

8 comments:

Kari Lynn Dell said...

Turning twitter off at work and being productive ALL DAY. I am exhausted.

Anonymous said...

Cool post, Susan. For me, I think making yummy food for people I care about. And, helping people take care things that are stressing them out.

Linda G. said...

I always feel virtuous when I skip dessert and take a walk instead. (I haven't really decided if feeling virtuous is really worth it.)

Natalie Aguirre said...

I know the feeling. I've been eating too many sweets and not exercising or writing enough.

Deborah Small said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah Small said...

All of the above. And take time to check in on friends, or relatives, maybe even spend time with them. And walk the dog. Groom the cats. Show up at my day job. The list is endless, which is why, sometimes, like you, I procrastinate, eat candy, flip idly through magazines I've already read...sigh. Time to go do something virtuous. Like maybe write and post on my own blog. :)

Take care and I hope you're on the upswing. :)

Ara Burklund said...

Days when I reach my word count, go to spin class, take the dog to his favorite park, pick up everyone from school on time, then actually have time to make a sit-down (non-leftover-based) dinner.

courtney said...

It IS an inner gold star. And Suze, I have no doubt your soul is COVERED in them. So there. :) I feel virtuous when I manage to stay on top of my email. And a bunch of other stuff but right now it's that.
*stares at inbox*
*is not so virtuous at the moment*

Oh and I guess when I exercise.
But that's more a begrudging virtuous.