Monday, May 13, 2013

NEWS!!! for THE TUNNEL

HI.

*tries to act cool and relaxed and...*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I can't do it. I can't act cool and relaxed anymore!!

So about a year ago, Nova Ren Suma very kindly hosted my Turning Point story on her blog--about how I quit writing out of sheer frustration (10 years of trying and banging my head against a wall), but a story saved me and brought me back. The full post is here, on Nova's blog.

THE TUNNEL is a book of my heart, a story I kept in my head and told only to myself for two months, until it finally poured out of me. It's a thriller, and a spy story, but it's also about family and love and self-sacrifice, with gaming and chases and secrets thrown in. Jake, the main character, lives in my head to a startling degree. I said in the end of that Turning Points post that I hoped you'd be able to read the book someday too.

GUESS WHAT??? YOU WILL!!!!!

I am so, so over-the-moon thrilled to announce that THE TUNNEL is going to be published by Brendan Deneen at Thomas Dunne Books (St. Martin's Press), in 2014!! Here's the announcement from today's Publisher's Weekly:


In a second deal coming out of St. Martin’s Press this week, Brendan Deneen bought world English rights to Susan Adrian’s debut, The Tunnel. The YA thriller, which Kate Schafer Testerman at kt literary sold, is set for a summer 2014 release. In the novel, a teenage boy who has a power he calls tunneling—he can decipher where anyone in the world is (and what they’re doing) by holding something they own—is brought to the attention of the U.S. government. Adrian, a former ballerina, lives in Montana.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there are not enough exclamation points)

Traditionally, we do the Snoopy Dance on this blog for good news:
But today I went one step further. In honor of Sparky, Thomas Dunne's mascot and colophon, I give you the Sparky Dance:


I am also like THIS:




HUGE thank yous to both Brendan, for believing in the book, and my unstoppable agent, Kate Schafer Testerman, for NEVER giving up. Also to Team Sparkle, who have been there at my back forever, and the Sub Club for handling all the daily angst. And, you know, my family for living with the crazy.



I am ecstatic to be working with Brendan on this. He absolutely GETS the book, and Jake, and he fought hard for the book already. I can't wait to dive back into this world again with him!

A friend told me recently that success would be all the sweeter for how long and rough the journey has been. Guys, I've been writing fiction off and on since 2000. I've been seriously writing with a goal of publication since 2003. That's 10 years of trying, and writing different books, and trying again, and watching this happen for so many other dear friends (I LOVE YOU GUYS), and writing and quitting and writing again. It finally happened. I finally got to write this post. IT IS SWEETER. IT IS AWESOME.

AND THE TUNNEL WILL BE ON THE SHELVES NEXT YEAR, OMG.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~! I hope you guys all join me on this journey!

22 comments:

Kelly Jensen said...

I am so over the moon happy for you. Congrats, congrats, congrats!! I cannot wait to have this book on my shelf!

Linda G. said...

You KNOW how thrilled I am for you!!!!!!!!!!!! <--Extras, in case you run out. ;)

Joanne Levy said...

As a card-carrying member of the "it took a looooong time" club, I can so relate and know how sweet it is. HUGE congrats to you and can't wait to pick your book off a shelf in 2014 (which will be here before you know it!).
So happy for you, Susan!

Kelsey said...

CONGRATS! I am so, so happy for you, and I can't wait to read this!

Unknown said...

Awesome news, Suze! I'm so happy for you! Any chance I can review it and promo you?

Sara

Annika said...

I am SO HAPPY for you. And I am SO HAPPY for me, because I will get to read your book!

Rena said...

That's awesome, Congratulations!

Mike Jung said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations Suze, you deserve it!!

Vicki Pettersson said...

Susan! I am so very happy for you! Congratulations, and all my best wishes to you as you begin what I'm sure will be a remarkable career. God knows you've paid your dues. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Best,
Vic

C.J. Redwine said...

Woohoo!!!!! My heart is overflowing with happiness for you, my friend. I am SO excited. *tosses confetti and cupcakes*

Julianne Douglas said...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU, Susan!!!! Many, many congratulations!!!!

Emily Hainsworth said...

I can't say it in enough places! I'm so THRILLED for you and THE TUNNEL!! Can't wait to own my very own finished copy, BB! Congratulations!! <3

Krista Van Dolzer said...

And HOW COOL that it's coming out next year! How have you never managed to mention this to the sub club?! *wiggles eyebrows threateningly*

Unknown said...

Kelly: THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING, YAY!

Linderoo: Ooooh, extra exclamation points! Thanks! I totally need those today. :)

Joanne: Thank you!! (Will I believe it's real, by 2014?) :)

Kelsey: Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Sara: Thank you so much! I have NO IDEA. (will keep that in mind for later!) :)

Annika: YAY YAY YAY YAY!

Rena: Thank you!!

Mike: There are not enough emoticons in the world. :)

Unknown said...

Vic: Thank you so much. Your belief throughout has already helped much. :)

C.J.: Eeeeee!!! *spins in confetti, snarfs cupcakes* Thank you!!

Julianne: Thank you so much! It's been a while, hasn't it? :)

Krista: I thought I did tell you? Yes, not only 2014 but SUMMER 2014. SOON.

Heather said...

What amazing news! Congratulations!!

Sarah Beth Durst said...

Congratulations!!! *does Snoopy dance of joy*

Unknown said...

Heather: Thank you!!

Sarah: *Snoopy dances with you*

Skitty.jann said...

So happy for you Susan!!! I can't wait to read your book! Congrats!! Doing the happy dance in your honor!! xoxo

Mara Rae said...

Congratulations! Awesome news, and I always love when someone who's been at this for a while succeeds (in a major way!). It gives me hope :)

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Yay Suze! So delighted for you and so happy to know you! I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS!! Hooray!!